Monday’s decision represents another milestone in Boden’s green transition and new opportunities in the development of the Boden Industrial Park.
On Monday, the working committee of the local government held an extraordinary meeting to discuss the railway line connecting the main line with the Boden Industrial Park.
The decision was taken to sign a contract with Polar Structure, which will build the railway to the area.
The next step in the process involves the formation of a company, Boden Järnväg AB, in which Boden Municipality will own 9 percent and Polar Structure the remaining 91 percent of the share capital, based on the land value, which is estimated at SEK 25 million. An approach that offers the municipality influence and ensures sustainable ownership.
In connection with this, a shareholders’ agreement will be signed whereby Polar Structure takes responsibility for financing and carrying out the construction of the railway. Construction time is estimated at two years. During this time, the company will not request any shareholder contribution from the municipality.
– “This is a business solution that minimizes the risk to taxpayers, and that feels very good,” says Mats Berg, Head of Business Development in the municipality of Boden.
Mats Berg, Head of business relations in the municipality of Boden. Photo Mats Engfors/Fotographic
When the railway is completed, Polar Structure will operate the railway through its subsidiary Train Alliance. The company will also participate in the continued development of the infrastructure at Boden Industrial Park and be a partner in the work to establish more businesses in the area.
Expert in sustainable infrastructure
The customers who use the track will pay an annual rent to Bodens Järnväg AB. The money will be used partly for operation and maintenance, but also to offset the municipality’s shareholder contribution.
– This decision marks the beginning of a new era for Boden. I am particularly grateful to our officials and Polar Structure for their tireless work and commitment,” says Claes Nordmark, Municipal Councillor of the Municipality of Bodens.
Polar Structure is a company that specializes in sustainable infrastructure solutions and its CEO Tobias Emanuelsson has been following developments in Boden for some time.
– The new industrialization we see in the north, not least in Boden, is impressive and important for Sweden. Enabling continued development and ensuring economic growth, not only in Boden but in many other places in Sweden, requires upgrading critical infrastructure, such as railways. We are therefore very pleased to be able to contribute to the development of Boden by extending the railway to the Boden Industrial Park,” he says.
Are you interested in knowing more about the establishment opportunities available in the municipality of Boden? Contact Boden Business Park.
Photo of the railway: Mats Engfors/Fotographic, montage Sandellsandberg architects